How to Use Cologne Like a Pro: Smell & Feel Amazing
If you want to smell good – so good that others will take notice – you need a cologne that can carry its weight. But even the best cologne can’t stand up to a poor application technique. Luckily, we’ve got the tips you need to use cologne like a pro and make sure it sticks around all day long. OffCourt is your source for high-end and unique, unisex fragrances. We’ve got the scents you need to stand out from the crowd. Let’s take a closer look.
How to Use Cologne Properly: The Basics
Applying cologne properly might seem like common sense, but it’s more complicated than a quick few sprays to the torso. If you want to smell incredible as you go through your day, you need a cologne application technique that doesn’t mess around.
Know your cologne.
Not all kinds of cologne are the same product – different options come with varying potency levels, which will affect how you use them.
Here’s a quick breakdown of the different fragrance classifications you might see:
- Eau Fraiche: 1-3% concentration. Since this category has the lowest concentration of fragrance oil, products within it wear off the fastest. Some body sprays, including our Performance Body Sprays fall into this classification from a fragrance percentage perspective.
- Eau de Cologne: 3-5% concentration. Most fragrances that are simply sold as “cologne” fit into this category. These products have a decent lasting time and aren’t strong enough to be too overwhelming.
- Eau de Toilette: 5-10% concentration. Many fragrances are sold at this concentration, which is generally considered the standard. OffCourt Fragrances are 10% Eau de Toilette.
- Eau de Parfum: 8-15% concentration. These formulas are typically noticeably stronger than others are may be found in high-end products.
- Extrait de Parfum (or Parfum): 15-30% concentration. These are the strongest products on the market and are not commonly worn in daily life.
The best cologne for you will likely be one that falls in the standard range. These options are perfect for everyday use; they’re potent enough to stick around but not so strong they’ll leave your eyes watering.
Clean your skin.
Once you know how strong your cologne is, you’re almost ready to apply. Before you get to spritzing, do your skin a favor and give it a quick cleanse.
A quick shower before applying cologne is a great way to achieve this. Otherwise, try washing your hands and wrist area with some soap and warm water. Dry your skin and consider applying a lightweight moisturizer. Now you have the perfect base for cologne sprays that will last all day!
Apply cologne to pulse points.
Your pulse points – or the areas on your body where you can clearly feel your pulse – generate the most heat and therefore release the most scent when you apply cologne. Focus your spritzing efforts on these areas. Pulse points in your neck and wrist are good places to start.
Spray from a few inches away.
It’s best to spray your cologne from around six inches away from your target area to ensure it coats your skin evenly. This will also help you avoid going overboard and saturating one area with more sprays than you really need.
Tips to Make Cologne Last All Day
The last thing you need after taking the time to apply cologne properly is for it to fade away after a mere few hours. Below are some tips that can help you make your cologne application last the whole day:
- Apply Cologne Last. Put on your cologne after you get dressed – but before applying jewelry or accessories – to ensure some of it transfers to your clothing. Even if the scent begins to fade from your skin, lingering amounts on your clothes can give off wafts until you throw them in the wash.
- Layer Fragrances. Consider pairing your cologne with matching body products and creams that complement it to enhance its smell. OffCourt fragrances can be found in many of our other products, including our body spray, body wash, and soaps, making maximizing your scents simple. Our All The Way Bundle features our Deep Cleansing Body Wash, Exfoliating Soap, Performance Body Spray, and Fragrance in matching scents to act as a one-stop shop for your hygiene needs.
All the Way Bundle
- Target Several Areas and Clothing. Don’t just hit your upper body – apply some cologne to other areas, too. For increased longevity, you can apply your cologne on your clothing as well. Depending on the fabric of your clothing, we suggest spraying a small amount to make sure it doesn’t leave a mark. If no mark, you can apply 2-3 sprays on your clothing to ensure your cologne lasts.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Still have questions about how to use cologne like a pro? We’ve got the answers you need.
How many sprays of cologne should you use?
How much cologne to use depends on your cologne’s potency. The stronger your product, the fewer spritzes you’ll need for the best results. For most colognes, two to three spritzes on a few target areas should be more than plenty.
Start with one and work your way up as necessary to avoid overdoing it. Remember, just because you can’t smell your cologne doesn’t mean others can’t.
Can cologne be used as an aftershave?
You shouldn’t use cologne to replace your aftershave. While some aftershaves are similar to cologne in their formulation, the two are distinct types of products. Colognes are not created with the soothing ingredients that aftershaves contain to protect freshly-shaven skin. Moreover, the strong scents in colognes may irritate sensitive and raw skin.
How often should you reapply cologne?
If you apply cologne properly, you shouldn’t need to reapply it more than once daily. Even one reapplication may not be entirely necessary. It’s okay if your cologne becomes a bit subtler throughout the day – you don’t always need a ton of scent to make an impact. Still, some colognes may wear off within around six to eight hours. Other times, your cologne might fade because you’ve had a long day; maybe you sweat a lot or got caught in the rain.
Regardless, reapplying can easily lead to overapplying, so be cautious; start with a few spritzes to see how they perform before adding more.
Using cologne properly can help you boost your confidence, impress others, and feel like your best self. When it comes to powerful fragrances, less is usually more. And the best colognes are not those that require tons of reapplication and work to come through. You can depend on OffCourt’s classic fragrances to make you feel and smell amazing.