Should You Exfoliate Frequently?
So, you’ve got your exfoliating soap, and you’re super excited to use it – that’s great! Body exfoliation is a pretty important part of any skincare routine. However, there are some things you should know before you incorporate exfoliation into your regime; for instance, how often should you exfoliate? What happens when you don’t? You've come to the right place to get some answers – let’s explore them starting with:
What is Exfoliation?
Exfoliation is the removal of dead skin cells and built-up dirt and oil from the surface of the skin. Our bodies naturally exfoliate, it’s a run-of-the-mill process for the human body, but it doesn’t always fully shed dead skin cells. Also, over time, the body slows down natural exfoliation, and constant exposure means the skin may start to look dull or flaky. Luckily, that’s where exfoliating products come in. Adding exfoliation to your skincare regimen helps you thoroughly cleanse and remove dead skin cells to reveal the healthy layer beneath.
Benefits of Exfoliation
- Exfoliation can help improve an uneven skin tone. With body exfoliation, you’re getting rid of the dead cells that cause hyperpigmentation, dark spots, and a host of other potential problems.
- An exfoliating facial soap cleanses your skin of cell and dirt buildup, thus unclogging your pores. Oil and bacteria trapped on the surface of your skin could cause acne and inflammation, but with the right product, you can keep any blemishes away.
- With an exfoliating moisturising soap, you can get rid of the barrier of dead cells keeping other products from penetrating and working effectively. When you exfoliate dry skin, that’s the first step in achieving your skin's hydration and moisture needs. Removing the dead cells layer helps to uncover fresh skin, which other products can help you maintain.
- Exfoliation can help you get a closer shave. It’s as simple as removing the dead skin cells on the surface to help your razor blade get closer to the base of the follicles.
- Exfoliation also helps improve blood flow to your skin, giving you a radiant glowing look. The increased blood flow also stimulates collagen production, reversing saggy skin, and giving you a more youthful appearance.
Best Exfoliating Product to Use
The best path to proper exfoliation is a high-quality exfoliating soap to help thoroughly cleanse your skin. Fortunately, OffCourt developed science-backed, high-performance exfoliating body soaps that don't just scrub off those dead cells but also hydrate and nourish your skin in the process. In addition to ridding you of sweat and dirt, OffCourt’s formula incorporates fresh, sophisticated scents that keep you smelling your best. For more on the subject, here’s a guide to exfoliating soaps.
What Happens When You Don’t Exfoliate?
When you don't aid the exfoliation process, you’re likely to experience a buildup of dead cells, leading to dull, dry, flaky and uneven skin. Clogged pores may also develop, causing ingrown hairs, blackheads, and whiteheads. As such, make sure to exfoliate and be consistent for the best results.
How Often Should You Exfoliate?
Most experts recommend exfoliating at least once per week, but you should also consider your skin type when deciding the frequency of your exfoliation. Once a week is suitable for sensitive skin; however, 2-3 times is a good place to start for normal skin types. Meanwhile, with oily skin and for tougher spots like knees and elbows, you can exfoliate more frequently, perhaps even daily. OffCourt exfoliating body soap was designed for daily use but for sensitive skin types start off slow and see how your skin responds. So yes, you can use our exfoliating soaps everyday all over your body or as a detailer in areas with rough, dry skin.